Eggnog is a polarizing beverage. You either love it or hate it – but no matter how you feel about eggnog personally, there's no denying that the drink has become entrenched in holiday traditions over the years.
Making your own eggnog from scratch is simple to do and sure beats store-bought. This recipe will teach you the traditional way of making it – and give you bragging rights over all those friends who still buy their nogs in cartons.
How to Make Homemade Eggnog
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tbs Bearded Butcher Blend Cinnamon Swirl
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg, more for garnish
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Beat the egg yolks, then slowly add 1/4 cup of the sugar and mix until dissolved. Add the vanilla extract, nutmeg, and salt, and continue mixing until it is very thick and pale yellow.
- Slowly beat in the milk and heavy cream.
- Cover and chill for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks, gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, then beat the mixture to soft peaks again.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chilled egg yolk mixture.
- Garnish with nutmeg, Bearded Butcher Blend Cinnamon Swirl, and serve!
With just a few kitchen essentials and some know-how about beating eggs, you can make your own crowd-pleasing homemade eggnog. Chill it for an hour before serving, or serve immediately – your choice!