Ready to take your brunch game to the next level? Buckle up, because we're serving up a dish you won't want to miss: Cornbread Chicken and Waffles!
We're talking crispy, golden cornbread waffles infused with the sweetness of our signature Bearded Butcher Blend Hollywood Seasoning. And to top it all off, juicy, perfectly seasoned chicken thighs and drumsticks with an optional kick of our Hot Seasoning.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your whisks, your tongs, and your appetite, because it's time to get cooking!
Cornbread Waffle Ingredients:
- 1 box corn muffin mix
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
Cornbread Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 package bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 package chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons Bearded Butcher Blend Hollywood Seasoning
- 1/2 tablespoon Bearded Butcher Blend Hot Seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
Cornbread Waffle Directions:
- Gather your ingredients: Make sure you have all the ingredients measured out and ready to go before you start. This will help the process run smoothly.
- Preheat your waffle iron: Follow the manufacturer's instructions to preheat your waffle iron to the desired setting. This usually takes around 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the corn muffin mix, egg, and melted butter until well combined.
- Gradually incorporate the wet ingredients: Slowly add the milk to the dry ingredients, whisking continuously until just combined. Do not overmix, as this can make your waffles tough.
- Cook the waffles: Spoon the batter onto your preheated waffle iron, filling each cavity about ¾ full. Close the lid and cook according to your waffle iron's instructions, usually around 3-5 minutes per waffle. Check for doneness by opening the lid slightly and seeing if the steam has stopped escaping.
- Keep the waffles warm: As you cook the waffles, place them on a wire rack set over a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 200°F to keep them warm and crispy.
Cornbread Chicken Directions:
- Pat the chicken dry: This ensures the seasoning adheres better and the chicken crisps up nicely. Remove any excess skin or fat if desired.
- Marinate the chicken: Combine the olive oil and Bearded Butcher Blend Hollywood Seasoning in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight for deeper flavor.
- Heat the oil: Use a skillet or Dutch oven and heat the cooking oil over medium-high heat to 350°F. You can check the temperature with a candy thermometer; if you don't have one, dip the end of a wooden spoon into the oil. If it bubbles rapidly, the oil is hot enough.
- Prepare the cornbread coating: In a shallow dish, combine some of the remaining corn muffin mix with the Bearded Butcher Blend Hot Seasoning to your desired level of spiciness.
- Dredge the chicken: Dredge each marinated chicken piece in the seasoned cornbread mix, ensuring it's evenly coated. Shake off any excess before frying.
- Fry the chicken: Carefully lower the chicken pieces into the hot oil, avoiding overcrowding the pan. Fry for 8-10 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165°F for safe consumption. Use tongs to turn the chicken and adjust the heat as needed to maintain a consistent temperature.
- Drain and test: Transfer the cooked chicken to a wire rack to drain excess oil. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
- For extra crispy waffles, use buttermilk instead of milk.
- If you don't have a skillet, you can use a heavy-bottomed oven-safe pan.
- To check if the chicken is cooked through, pierce the thickest part with a meat thermometer. The juices should run clear, not pink.
- Serve the cornbread chicken and waffles with your favorite toppings, such as maple syrup, hot sauce, honey butter, or gravy.