Grandpa's Bearded Chili
February is notorious as the month to long for spring and loth the continuation of winter. Temperatures can fluctuate. Rain mixes with snow, and delivers far too much ice and freezing rain. The sun peaks and teases but only brings with it colder temperatures rather than lukewarm relief.
March is just around the corner and we’re not out of the woods yet. Try this spicy chili recipe from Grandpa’s kitchen and see if it might lift your spirits!
1 lb (ground beef or venison)
2 stalks of celery, chopped
½ onion, chopped
2 cans of kidney beans (or beans of your choosing) drained and rinsed
1 quart of homemade canned tomato juice (use store bought if you must)
15 oz canned diced tomatoes
Bearded Butcher Blend Seasoning to taste:
- “Hot” for a kick
- “Chipotle” for a smooth, mild flavor
Chili powder to taste
Added Sea Salt to taste
1) In a skillet on the stove, brown the meat in avocado oil
- Add Bearded Butcher Blend Seasoning, Chili Powder, and Sea Salt to taste
- Add chopped onion and celery
2) Transfer to large cooking pot or crock
3) Let cook and stir for several minutes, then add diced tomatoes
- Run through blender beforehand for a smoother texture
4) Stir, then add beans.
5) Add another round of spices, stir well. Add tomato juice at last.
6) Simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally.
7) Add additional spices to taste at the end of needed
For best results, serve with green beans and plenty of cornbread!
We hope you’ll enjoy this chili recipe! One thing we like to do at the end to top of our bowl is add some organic shredded cheese, a small portion of crackers, and a good drizzle of our signature Bearded Butcher BBQ sauce! That element adds just enough tang for the flavors to bounce around your tongue and make you want a 3rd and 4th helping! Protein packed and delicious, though the weather outside might actually be chilly, your heart and your belly surely wont be!