Fall is nearly here and that means one thing – football season. Whipping up an incredibly delicious dip for game night is a quick and simple way to add awesome snacks to your get-together. What could be more appetizing than the smoky flavor of adobo sauce combined with the heat of chipotle peppers mingled with chicken breast in a slow cooker? How about this Bearded Butcher's take on the classic Buffalo chicken wings which we make into a dip that boasts maximum flavor? If that sounds good, you'll want to check out this recipe from @Themontagne.Bbq on Instagram:
Taking Buffalo Chicken Dip to the Next Level
If you are like us, you're never content to leave well enough alone. Take the basic Buffalo chicken dip and throw out the recipe. Start from scratch to combine some of our most popular seasonings and sauces to create a unique chicken dip loaded with spicy chipotle shredded chicken and a blend of cheeses to create the ultimate smoked chipotle chicken dip.
The secret starts with a delicious smoked chicken that is shredded and combined with the rowdy flavor of our signature Bearded Butcher Blend Rebel Red Sauce that is loaded with the subtle heat of habanero peppers and a subtle sweetness from fresh mangoes.
Then, pump it up even more by adding a generous dose of our Chipotle blend. Chipotle peppers are basically over-ripe jalapeno peppers that are smoked until completely dry, a process that can take as long as 24 hours. The cooking and smoking process tempers the heat and brings out the natural sweetness of the peppers while adding a layer of savory smoke.
How to Make Smoked Chipotle Chicken Dip
You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs to make this recipe. Chicken is an ideal protein for smoking. The mild flavor takes smoke well and is a great way to showcase unique hardwood flavors. Apple wood is among the very best to enhance the smoky sweetness of chipotle peppers. If you want to enhance the spiciness of the chipotle, use mesquite or a blend of mesquite and oak. Alder is another excellent choice that gives the chicken a soft, smooth flavor. Hickory is a bold flavor that might overpower the chicken.
Replacing some of the cream cheese with crumbled blue cheese gives the dip a classic hot wings flavor. We like spicy, so we usually add some of our Bearded Butcher Blend Hot seasoning when we make it. A little extra Hot gives the dip the perfect slow burn that we love.
Our seasonings have an ideal combination of garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to perfectly complement the combination of spicy chipotle shredded chicken and the delicious Rebel Red sauce.
Smoked Chipotle Chicken Dip Recipe
Here's what you need:
- 3/4 cup Bearded Butcher Blend Rebel Red Sauce
- Bearded Butcher Blend Chipotle seasoning
- 3 cups shredded smoked chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bearded Butcher Blend Hot seasoning (optional for added heat)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (for garnish)
Here's how to make it:
- Season chicken with Chipotle and cook on your smoker at 225 degrees for 20 minutes. Then turn up the smoker to 375 and continue to cook chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Let cool and then shred.
- In a large bowl mix cream cheese, sour cream, and Rebel Red Sauce until well combined. Mix in shredded chicken and 1 1/2 cups of your shredded cheese mix, the other 1/2 cup will be for the top. Spoon mixture into a medium-sized cast iron pan or glass baking dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cook in smoker at 375 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. If desired place in the oven on low broil to brown cheese on top.
- Garnish with green onion and serve with slices of toasted French bread, tortilla chips, or crackers.
If you really like spicy stuff, add some Bearded Butcher Blend Hot Seasoning to taste.